United Way of Lethbridge & South Western Alberta
Together…We are possibility
United Way of Lethbridge and South Western Alberta is one of over 100 locally operated United Ways across Canada. We work to identify the causes of the most significant local issues and develop strategies to address them. We pull together the financial aid and human resources the community needs to improve the day-to-day lives of individuals and families. Our vision is for communities where everyone works as a team to make sure poverty is temporary, individuals and families live healthy lifestyles, and children have the tools they need to reach their full potential.
The Executive Director (ED), is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization, including its activities, staff, and volunteers. This leadership is provided according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors and approved policy guidelines. The ED builds positive and productive working relationships with a wide range of community stakeholders including member agencies, government, donors, funders, and media.
REPORTING & AUTHORITY:
The ED reports directly to the volunteer Board of Directors for the UWLSWA. However, most of the work of the ED is self-directed and independent. The ED will act as a spokesperson for the organization.
The ED has the authority to hire, supervise, mentor and conduct performance reviews for all staff positions employed by the UWLSWA.
Responsibilities and Duties
THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES OF THIS POSITION INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Strategic Leadership, Policy, and Board Relations:
- Works with the board to develop, plan, implement, and monitor the strategic plans of the organization.
- Advises the board and its committees.
Organizational Operations, Administration, & Risk Management:
- Maintains the organization’s charitable society status.
- Works with the Finance Committee to establish an annual budget.
- Ensures that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are carried out according to GAAP.
- Ensures maintenance of confidentiality and privacy.
Human Resource Management:
- Oversees and works closely with staff, to meet organizational and fundraising objectives.
- Establishes a positive, respectful, and safe work environment that is in accordance with employment standards.
- Assists with volunteer recruitment, screening, training, and engagement strategies.
Public Relations & Stakeholder Management:
- Initiates and develops positive working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including: donors; volunteers, funders; levels of government; media; and other non-profit, social service and business organizations.
- Engages with the community to conduct research, build knowledge, strengthen relationships, work inclusively, and mobilize resources to achieve desired community outcomes and priorities.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in an applicable field (e.g. business administration, social sciences, communications, management).
- 2+ years of leadership/management experience in the not-for-profit sector, or a related field.
- Proven proficiency in preparing and managing budgets and accurately accounting for and reporting financial information.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills that facilitate relationship building among various UWLSWA stakeholders.
- Effective decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and ability to learn and operate stakeholder database programs.
- Previous experience working in the non-profit sector is considered an asset.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be required to provide satisfactory Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Checks.
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
To apply for this position, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 November 2017.
- A cover letter
- 3 work related references
- Salary expectations
The United Way of Lethbridge & Southwestern Alberta hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity and diversity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.