Community Development Coordinator (CDC)
Job Title: Community Development Coordinator
Classification: Permanent - Full-time
Direct Reports: N/A
Volunteer Reports: As assigned by the Director of Fund Development & Operations
Reports to: Director of Fund Development & Operations
Reporting directly to the Director of Fund Development & Operations; the Community Development Coordinator key responsibilities include the development, implementation and support of fundraising strategies and initiatives as well as the supervision of campaign staff and volunteers. The Community Development Coordinator will work closely with the Director, volunteers and staff in year-round fundraising to generate the maximum financial support possible for the United Way.
This is accomplished by expanding the funder composition, broadening the funder base, and implementing formal fundraising efforts. This includes forming and affirming existing ties within the community to build on the existing funding base. The successful candidate will engage in a team approach and thereby strengthen our organization’s capacity to fulfil our mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In partnership with the Director and Campaign Chair(s), the Community Development Coordinator will develop and support positive relationships in the community with key organizations and individuals including volunteers, donors (corporate, organizations and individuals), labour organizations and community representatives.
- Develop and operationalize innovative techniques to realize stated fundraising objectives.
- Provide information, input and participation in the development of the short and long-term planning initiatives of the United Way.
- Recruits and organizes the training of volunteer leadership from the community (including all campaign sectors), in co-operation with the Director.
- Coordinates the preparation of the canvasser kits, including working with the Marketing Coordinator to design and develop all materials for the kits.
- Advises in the setting of, and oversees necessary research to meet fundraising goals and objectives.
- Prepares and implements division/committee fundraising plans and strategies in accordance with fundraising objectives, overall plan and timetable, in conjunction with volunteer leadership.
- Assists the Marketing Coordinator with the development of public relations, promotional and advertising material for all campaigns.
- Develop with the assistance of the Director, financial budgets and projections related to the annual campaign.
- Develops, delegates where appropriate and delivers workplace campaigns including canvasser training and employee presentations as required.
- Provides fundraising support to campaign volunteers by ensuring support for corporate calls as required.
- Provides ongoing support as the liaison to Employee Campaign Chairs/Coordinators.
- Determines projected achievements for each Division and Sector in conjunction with volunteer leadership.
- Develop and conducts an annual fundraising evaluation with volunteers and staff to identify strengths, weaknesses, and areas of potential.
- Analyzes fundraising results making recommendations for future campaigns.
- Determines what recognition and awards are appropriate for donors and volunteers and delivers this recognition in a timely manner with the aid of the Marketing Department.
VOLUNTEER AND STAFF SUPPORT:
- Recruits, orients, trains and evaluates campaign volunteers. Organizes and participates in Campaign Cabinet volunteer training and assists volunteers as required.
- Assists volunteers in the management of their annual workplace campaigns.
- Ensures appropriate recognition of accomplishments and results and expresses thanks for participation to volunteers, student(s) and loaned representative(s).
- Recruits, interviews, trains, coaches, supervises and evaluates campaign co-ordinator(s). Ensures workloads are distributed and tasks delegated effectively and efficiently to manage the campaign and staff for optimal results.
- Ensures United Way staff work in a collaborative manner as part of the staff team and assumes the role of the senior staff person in the absence of the Director.
- Promotes the United Way on a year-round basis and ensures that key accounts are cultivated.
- Ensures information flow through communication of Campaign status and issues (e.g. plant closures, business expansions etc.) through liaison with the Director, Campaign volunteers and staff; semi-monthly reports to Director and communication to Campaign staff and volunteers.
- Ensures a smooth workflow and project completion through preparation and management of an annual work plan.
- Staffs the Campaign Cabinet and Division meetings, and other committees that may be established from time to time, ensuring their effective functioning. Produces and distributes minutes from those meetings, agendas for upcoming meetings, attendance records etc.
- Ensures that accurate records, accounting controls and forms for the Campaign are maintained with the assistance of the Marketing Department.
- Completes administrative tasks as assigned or delegated by the Executive Director.
- Assists in all general office duties such as reception, answering phones, faxing, filing, etc.; assisting the staff team in a collaborative manner when required.
- Participates actively in all United Way events and activities.
- Attends Board meetings at the discretion of the Director.
- Prepares and assists with the preparation of reports, as delegated, to support requests and requirements of the United Way of Canada.
- Knowledge of group process, volunteerism, community service issues and needs, corporate structures, business trends, labour organizations
- Ability to plan, organize and implement plans and procedures
- Demonstrated public speaking leadership, training and facilitation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in management and/or volunteer management
- Comfortable working in partnerships and with volunteers
- Experience in fundraising is a definite asset
- Grant writing experience is an asset
- Event planning experience is an asset
- Ability to understand financial statements
- Accountability and Dependability
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Strong project management
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Initiative and flexibility
- Education in a related field and/or equivalent experience
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Computer literate
- Travel primarily in south western Alberta is required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Flexibility with schedule around events is needed.
- Overtime as required.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume or CV, cover letter, and references by email to email@example.com. Position is open until the right candidate is found. For more information, contact Janelle at 403.327.1700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.
The United Way of Lethbridge & South Western Alberta hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity and diversity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.